NAFRI Information Services
NAFRI has developed a number of information services that are coordinated by the Centre for Agriculture and Forestry Research Information (CAFRI). CAFRI was established in October 2007. CAFRI’s mission is to become a center of excellence in the provision of agriculture and natural resource management information in Laos. It also seeks to improve farmers, extension agents, researchers and other actors access to information through strengthening linkages between different actors and levels.
To view the list of publications and information produced by NAFRI go to:
1. The NAFRI website repository -- all major publications and reports
2. The Lao Agriculture Database - Repository of major research and development reports related to agriculture and natural resource management in Laos
3. NAFRI Library Information System - on-line catalogue of the NAFRI library
Information Service Activities
1. Information Management
The NAFRI library has the most extensive collection of materials related to agriculture and forestry in Laos. The library currently holds more than 10,000 materials (books, magazines, reports, CDs, VDOs, etc). It has also established the Lao Agriculture Database (LAD), the first on-line Lao language document retrieval system which includes more than 2,000 entries and more than 600 downloadable files.
The ICT section is responsible for all related IT infrastructure at NAFRI as well as providing a range of IT related services. Current, activities include:
- Managing the NAFRI fiber optic backbone and other infrastructure.
- Managing a server farm to store all NAFRI data and information
- Overseeing the NAFRI website and related webpages.
- Providing email services to all NAFRI staff
- Supporting the development of databases and other mechanisms to use IT for research
3. Production & Outreach
NAFRI is a recognized leader in information production and knowledge exchange. This includes:
- Monthly NAFRI newsletter for extension agents
- Bi-annual Journal on Agriculture and Forestry
- Production of NAFRI research reports, facts sheets and reference materials for different actors
- Organization of international and national workshops and conferences
- Development of materials and information for extension agents and farmers in collaboration with NAFES through the Agriculture Information Management (AIM) Working Group
Given the diversity of ethnic groups and cultural practices in the country, it is important to understand different local information and communication systems. CAFRI will carry out information and communication related research to test out processes to support different actors’ access to information. This is done in collaboration with NAFES through the AIM working group. This includes:
- Local knowledge and information studies
- Developing models for improved information services at the local level
- Improving two-way communication mechanisms at different levels
5. GIS Services
The NAFRI GIS Unit has some of the most up-to-date biophysical spatial data in Laos. Its focus is primarily on land use planning and information. Current map sets include forest cover data, soil data and agriculture land use data
For more information contact: Kongkeo Pajongphom, GIS Section, Agriculture Land Research Centre
ແກ້ໄຂລ່າສຸດ (ມື້ພະຫັດທີ່ 25 ພະຈິກ 2010 ເວລາ 16: 59)